Back to TOP

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Black Star Pastry
























I have always had a predisposition of 'hate' towards dessert houses. Overly rich, bathed in sugar, I'd honestly rather have homebrand cake.

But this Sunday we found ourselves wandering the streets of Newtown looking to satisfy our sweet tooth, after an afternoon of indulging at Mary's of Newtown. 

After a good ten minutes of meandering we had walked past several common options, but we spotted in an alleyway tucked into the side, a long line was forming, this is always a good sign, especially at 4pm in the afternoon on a Saturday, so we went to investigate further, the mystery that was Black Star Pastry.


Can you spot Ms FoodBlogger o_o ?!?























A new addition to the Newtown scene, Blackstar is the creation of renowned pastry chef Christopher Thรจ of Claude's (Two Chefs Hats), Black Star was quickly making a reputation for itself as the place to be. 

Unbeknown to me Ms Foodblogger had seen this on her news feed on Fb days earlier, and had made plans, researched on her own, in expectancy of leading me here in the coming days. Should she of included me in this task we may of shaved off the 10 minutes of "meandering" by which she cleverly guised being lost.

The line despite being long was acceptable, and moved at a quick pace, I think it looked bigger than it was as this place is tiny and the insides are tinier. Whilst waiting we tried going through the array of possibilities, from your single macaroons, to tarts to whole cakes and sausage rolls, it is also reputed to have a mean coffee.

We were overwhelmed with choice, they all looked so tasty and delectable, but with the long line behind us growing disgruntled, we promptly decided to order two each and a cappuccino.



Strawberry Watermelon Cake with Rose Scented Cream $7


Salted Caramel Panna Cotta $6





























Amedei Chocolate and Hazelnut Torte $7








































Choc Eclair $5.50
















































We thankfully found a spot outside with a mini table, a miracle in this establishment.  We then proceed to indulge, Ms Foodblogger went head first into the watermelon cake, I for one wasn't really a fan of the rose scented cream  if you can withstand rose water, you're in heaven.

The panna cotta is a dish I have enjoyed the world over, I have only ever found panna cotta in restaurants, and was overjoyed to find it here. The salty jelly on top is supposed to create a contrast but I was much happier digging into the creamy insides.

The chocolate hazelnut torte (a torte is a multilayered cake, filled with creams, nuts fruit, etc), seemed slightly too rich for my liking, but it did take away the layer of fat built up from my previous meal.

The eclair was soft and smooshy and filled with cream, but after three others desserts, it was at the bottom of the pecking order, but if I had this on its own I'd be loving it.

The trip to Blackstar although unexpected was a happy experience. My strong opinion against dessert eateries has softened somewhat. I know now that some are out there diligently working away, dedicated to provide true quality desserts without compromise, I just have to work harder to find them.


 Happy Eating

S&S



Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment